Jim Laurier originals

eHangar.com Gallery
Jim Laurier has several originals listed for sale at the moment. Here are one or two for your perusal. :)

56th Fighter Group - $3200

Pappy - $17,000

Max Ostermann, JG 54 - $4500

Finnish Ace Hans Wind - $3000

Spitfire Mk II - $2900

Short Fuse Sallee - $4100

JG2 - $3000
01/08/2006 03:56:11
My favorite has to be 'Pappy' but it looks as if I've got expensive tastes! Any ideas how large the images are?
01/08/2006 19:53:16
My favorite has to be 'Pappy' but it looks as if I've got expensive tastes!

My thoughts exactly! What a great portrait.

Paul
01/08/2006 20:03:49
My favorite has to be 'Pappy' but it looks as if I've got expensive tastes! Any ideas how large the images are?

Pappy

Original Oil Painting

by

Jim Laurier

Pappy Boyington in front of Corsair - 11 Black Sheep signed canvas

36 x 42
01/08/2006 20:15:47
Ah, I'd imagine the signatures are the reason for that price tag, right?

Thanks for the info Stormchaser, think it'll be a while before I need to worry about making space on my wall for this one though :(
01/08/2006 20:47:34
Ah, I'd imagine the signatures are the reason for that price tag, right?

I must admit I scratched my head when I saw that price tag... I would guess that Mr Laurier plans to keep that painting in his own collection and has priced it accordingly! It is the best of what appears to be a fairly mediocre bunch IMHO.
01/08/2006 23:15:49
Where are they being listed for sale? On his website?
01/08/2006 23:20:21
Man,

"Pappy" sure would look good as my avatar! 8-)
01/08/2006 23:21:40
Where are they being listed for sale? On his website?

See here for the full list... not all are aviation pieces.

http://www.milartgl.com/
01/08/2006 23:37:38
BTW, anyone read 'Black Sheep One' by Bruce Gamble? Quite a shock to the system if your only previous source was Pappy's autobiography. :wink:
01/08/2006 23:55:15
i like the pappy one too, but i also think the Fw190 on the bottom is great as well and its more withing my budget :wink:
02/08/2006 04:45:46
Hi Stormchaser,

Below is a list of VMF-214 titles, including the two that you have already made reference to, in case you or others would like to read more on the subject.

BAA BAA BLACK SHEEP by Gregory "Pappy" Boyington 1958

THE BLACK SHEEP by Bruce Gamble 1998

BLACK SHEEP ONE by Bruce Gamble 2000

ON BOYINGTON'S WING by Robert McClurg 2003

LOST BLACK SHEEP by Robert Reed 2001 (subject matter is Chris Magee)

THE THREADBARE BUZZARD by Thomas Tomlinson 2004 (Member of VMF-214 Swashbucklers before Boyington became CO and name was changed to Black Sheep)

Should I dare include these links to assist you in your search?

http://www.amazon.com

http://www.bookfinder.com

Happy hunting! :shooting
02/08/2006 13:40:48
Below is a list of VMF-214 titles, including the two that you have already made reference to, in case you or others would like to read more on the subject.

Thanks for the further references. Gamble's biography almost made Pappy's book look like a work of fiction... but the legend lives on regardless. :)
03/08/2006 00:33:04
Considering the alcohol problems that Pappy had, I am surprised that he had enough recollections to write an autobiography in the first place.

However, he did know how to inspire his men to do their best, the mark of a true leader.

And, he also devised some fighter tactics that helped to beat back the Japanese in the SWPA. One being assembling a group of fighters to look like a bomber formation on radar and sound like one on the radio, to get the Japanese to come up and fight. Another, and more significant tactic was to stage fighters at their best operating altitude, P-40s low and F4Us and F6Fs at medium and high altitude to give them the best chance to win.

I don't think he pretended to be more than he was to serve some self-agrandising purpose, he probably added to the hype to increase his earning potential and thus his ability to put alcohol on the table.

I think the statement he made along the lines of "Just show me a hero, and I'll show you a bum", shows what he thought of himself, but ask any of the pilots he flew with who they wanted to lead them into combat, and I think they would still point to Pappy as being the guy.

Another book I forgot to mention above is ONCE THEY WERE EAGLES by Frank Walton who was the group Intelligence Officer, and helped to prop Pappy up in his chair when people were looking. His account sheds some light on many of the other pilots in the squadron, a good read.
03/08/2006 04:26:43