Mossie by Night

Work Critique Room
A new pastel depicting a Mosquito by night. Oil pastel on paper. This one is actually unfinished, still need to do some tweaking. I had to scan it in pieces so if there is any inconsistency in the image, that's the reason. When it's complete, I'll have a proper scan made.

13/06/2012 17:11:29
I like :)

Don't forget to post the finished picture

13/06/2012 17:17:08
I'ts quite nice!
13/06/2012 21:20:40
When I just came back for another looksie, the screen jumped and all I could see was the bottom half

that part on it's own looks like an underwater scene...if you cover up the Mossie it looks like the Ocean Floor

I reckon with the colours and style you have put into this peice you could pull off a Brilliant underwater wreckage scene

13/06/2012 21:31:41
Thanks for the comments guys!

When I just came back for another looksie, the screen jumped and all I could see was the bottom half

that part on it's own looks like an underwater scene...if you cover up the Mossie it looks like the Ocean Floor

I reckon with the colours and style you have put into this peice you could pull off a Brilliant underwater wreckage scene

Thanks for tha observation Gollum. You're right, it does look like that doesn't it? I think what I need to do to improve the scene would be to increase the contrast somewhat on the hi-lites, both on the upper surface of the aircraft and on the clouds, and to soften up the clouds below to look a bit more "fluffy" for lack of a better term.. The clouds below may look a bit flat right now. I may need to use paint because oil pastels are pretty waxy when built up, and laying a strong white on top may be a bit of a challenge. I could also scrape away some of the pigment as well in order to strengthen the contrast. I just better be careful not to "cock it up" as they say over there. Cheers!
14/06/2012 00:20:42
I wouldn't do to much to the sky, and the clouds at the bottom looks fine

Carry on as you intended :)

It just reminded me of those photographs you see from the underwater wrecks (only looking at the bottom half for a few seconds)

But I still think you have the loose fluid style which would enable you to pull off a underwater wreck scene

That would be cool, ther are plenty of photographs on the net

Go to google (images) and type in underwater wrecks pictures and you will see what I mean
14/06/2012 01:02:05
Here's an updated image, it's only slightly different with a few highlights added on the aircraft and clouds and some minor details on the aircraft completed. Again, it's pieced together from a small scanner, but I would like to have it professionally scanned or photographed at some point, and if/when it is I will update the pic. Cheers!

18/06/2012 18:55:47
Nice atmospheric piece Norb. Well done.

Steve
18/06/2012 19:56:23
Thanks Steve, it means a lot coming from you! :D
18/06/2012 20:29:45
That does indeed have a nice feel to it Norbert. I saw this awhile back but forgot to post a reply. My bad.

I think you might have a winner with this type of medium. The night time feel really comes across.

Brian
18/06/2012 21:44:00
You've captured the night scene very well Norbert . It's very tempting to find ways of introducing more light into a night painting . Here you have stuck with the off screen moonlight and depicted it realistically .

Have to say, its dammed hard to check out a model in moonlight in a town as I am. Wonder what the neighbours would think if they found me in the cornfield by the woods waving a 1/48th Lightning and camera about ! :wink:
19/06/2012 10:00:27
Brian, thanks for your kind remarks. I hope that you're right regarding the medium. I like pastels because they seem to allow me a bit of spontaneity when it comes to laying down colour and tones, they give a nice texture with the toothy Canson Pastel Paper, plus they're fairly quick as well. I plan on trying them with an interpretation of the Urban Drew "Detroit Miss II" piece which I've neglected for too long now.

Neil, thanks for the words of encouragement. As far as playing with models in a cornfield is concerned, hey, "ya gotta do what'cha gotta do". :lol:
19/06/2012 10:50:27
very nice job like the style in which you have done it.
19/06/2012 11:27:33
I like this picture an awfull lot...it's very clever
19/06/2012 21:56:29
Thanks again for the encouragement guys. After one too many people saying that it reminds them of an underwater scene, including my bro and daughter, I decided to scrap this version and re-do it. I put together a quick photoshop comp and I will re-do a pastel rendering based on this new comp which I hope better represent a night scene. I actually prefer the wider comp with less height. Obviously it will look more consistent once the entire piece is rendered in pastels.

21/06/2012 01:52:56
Wow!

If you can pull those clouds off you will astound everybody!
21/06/2012 02:25:16
As we say in New Zealand Bloody brilliant.
21/06/2012 03:29:21
Even better as amended - go for it!
21/06/2012 18:53:18
Finally got around to this one after another project in between.

05/07/2012 08:51:05
You have every right to be more than pleased with the result, thats a nice picture 8-) 8-) 8-)
05/07/2012 09:09:58