Franz Josef Sunset

Non-Aviation Art Showcase
Here's one that I actually finished a few months ago but just now got around to scanning. This is another image from New Zealand. It was late afternoon, right at sunset, and we were on the west coast of the south island near the foot of the Franz Josef Glacier. We were only a mile or so from the coast and there was a very low layer of clouds above our heads. The clouds ended right at the shoreline and the sunlight was streaming in almost perfectly horizontal, coming in under the clouds and lighting them from underneath.

11/05/2012 12:06:46
Beautifully portrayed landscape, very pleasant color scheme and lighting Russ! 8-)
11/05/2012 12:35:19
Can you stick a plane in there???!!! :)

Just kidding. :lol:

Extremely nice painting.
11/05/2012 12:43:58
THanks guys!

Fuzzy, I could have. Franz Josef is about halfway between Omaka Aerodrome and Wanaka Airfield - home to two of the largest airshows in the Southern Hemisphere. I had just left the Classic Fighters show at Omaka that morning.
11/05/2012 17:41:39
There's plenty of aerial action at Franz Josef and the nearby Fox Glacier too. We did a flight in a Hughes / MD520 NOTAR chopper from Franz Josef, up to the top of the glacier and were lucky enough to spot a number of Himalayan Tahr and Chamois on the way up. These amazing creatures ran about on the almost sheer sides of the mountains as easily as we would run along flat ground! Fantastic fun in an amazing, breathtakingly beautiful place!
11/05/2012 21:37:31
OOO! Very Super! USA! Other planet.
12/05/2012 19:45:22
beautiful painting, makes me proud to be a Kiwi. Only paradise on earth.
13/05/2012 08:32:24