Favorite 'Mighty Eighth' paintings

eHangar.com Gallery
Roy Grinnell rocks, period, end of discussion.

I second MarkH's comment - Roy Grinnell Rocks!

Thinking about it guys, I have to agree that Roy Grinnell's work has rarely come in for any substantial debate on this site for some reason. :(

The concept of a thread dealing with prints concerning the 'Mighty Eighth' very quickly determines that this is a situation that requires rectification in the case of RG, so I am putting up two very original and striking images that certainly deserve our attention :)

Under that wider banner, I'd also like to post two of my other all time favorites on this subject by Gil Cohen and John Young. 8-)

One Of four That Day by Roy Grinnell.

Clash Of Eagles by Roy Grinnell.

The Regensburg Mission by Gil Cohen.

The Other Half by John Young.

Feel free to post your own favorite pieces from the many, many works depicting the largest air force ever assembled.
18/11/2007 08:27:16

One of Robert Taylors classic print sets with outstanding signatures of 8th Air Force Fighter pilots
19/11/2007 09:31:58
Two more 'Mighty Eighth' pieces from another artist who has not received a great deal of coverage on this site. :)

Ruby's Fortress by Stan Stokes.

Bridge Busting Jugs by Stan Stokes.
20/11/2007 07:52:55
A different take on Kidd Hofer's famous 'Salem Representative' by English artist Howard Gerrard. Hively's P-51B is shown in the background.

Salem Representative by Howard Gerrard.
24/11/2007 19:30:37
If the name of any one artist is synonymous with the 8th AF, to me Gil Cohen is that name. His ground scenes describe the tension of the crews prior to takeoff, his mission scenes the tension onboard those aircraft during operations and then the utter exhaustion of the men as they return back to base. A lot of different artists have depicted the 8th AF, but if the pot were boiled, GC would have to be one of the names that rose to the top! :D
26/11/2007 05:35:27
The famous 'Nine-0-Nine' of the 91st Bomb Group.

Ruhr Valley Raiders by Robert Bailey.
28/11/2007 02:55:40

Another of my Robert Taylor favourites Return from Schweinfurt. apologies for the poor pic the flash has reflected off the plastic browser.

H.
28/11/2007 14:44:19
If the name of any one artist is synonymous with the 8th AF, to me Gil Cohen is that name. His ground scenes describe the tension of the crews prior to takeoff, his mission scenes the tension onboard those aircraft during operations and then the utter exhaustion of the men as they return back to base. A lot of different artists have depicted the 8th AF, but if the pot were boiled, GC would have to be one of the names that rose to the top! :D

Before a mission...

"Rosie's Crew"

During a mission...

The Regensburg Mission by Gil Cohen.

I believe this depiction is of Harry Crosby, a lead navigator with the 100th BG. I read somewhere that Gil took artistic license to show a few Forts flying well ahead, visible thru some of the windows.

And after a mission...

"Mighty Eighth - Russian Shuttle"

"Return to Halesworth"

"Coming Home England 1943"

"After the Mission"

Can't you imperceptably smell the leather and the sweat (and the cigarette smoke)?
28/11/2007 16:53:51