A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
buzzc320's collection of things
buzzc320
Members
Forum Posts: 217
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 22, 2014 - 11:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

fuzzy said
Helping Hand had no aircrew signatures when it was issued.  One of the few RT prints without aircrew signatures. 

Seems like a few have had signatures added over the years.  I bought one from Virginia Bader a few years back that had John C. Morgan and Hub Zemke on it.  It was from her stock – she got the signatures on the prints back in the 90’s.

Mmm. Veddy eenteresting. There’s a new-old stock Helping Hand for sale on ebay and I picked the guy’s brain a bit but the one he has for sale has only Taylor’s sig. I had emailed the Military Gallery about it but never heard anything back. They probably thought I was deranged or something. crazy2 Whatever the case I’m sure the circumstances are forever lost to memory but I’m not complaining about having a ‘bonus’ Medal of Honor signature on anything. Makes me want to at some point have a re-frame done and stick a Medal of Honor with the print. In Wisconsin jargon that would look tits. Not  tits-up as in a dead cow.

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 22, 2014 - 11:46 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

eHangar said
Thank you for sharing your collection here, Brian. Nice early RT1s.

Interesting remarque position on Gathering of Eagles at the top border.

Flight of Eagles remains one of my fav RT paintings of Bf109s although it depicts the F model. My favourite mark is the Emil model, which is depicted in Eagles Hight. Hmmm… so many prints with the word Eagles in the title…confused2

fuzzy, I was not aware that Helping Hand was issued without any crew signatures – interesting. We should have a trivia competition one day… wink

Thanks and me thinks I’m past the RT1 Eagles.

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 22, 2014 - 11:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Summer Victory, RT1

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 22, 2014 - 11:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

And because I’m a closeted Liberator lover, Welcome Sight, RT1. Brought this one home from the frame shop on Christmas eve, 1987.

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 22, 2014 - 12:05 pm

Low Pass over Ely Cathedral. This is the companion print to Welcome Sight.

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 23, 2014 - 11:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zemke’s Wolfpack, RT1. My Christmas present to myself in 1989.

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 23, 2014 - 11:44 am

Swansong, RT1. Framed in June, 1989. Literally the last sortie on the last day of the war for JG300.

I have a 20 y/o ripple on the bottom of the top matte (moisture) so this one will be getting reframed. I have a JG300 Wilde Sau pin that I wanted to put with this print but the more I think of it, it would be too distracting with the bright red and yellow. I think in keeping with the somber tone of the print, I’ll maybe include a gray/silver Bullion Luftwaffe badge

or a General’s gold breast eagle pin at the most as the print is signed by Herr Gunther Rall.

Despite the somber tone of the print, it’s still after all these years the favorite of my Taylor prints.

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 24, 2014 - 11:45 am

The Doolittle Tokyo Raiders, RT1. This is the last of the ‘old school’ Taylor prints I had purchased and this one being framed on April 7, 1992 means I probably bought it around Christmas of ’91.

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 27, 2014 - 2:10 pm

Now for something a bit different. This print dates to 1943 and brownie points if someone knows the story of this print.

Or maybe I should be waiting for the eHangar trivia contest.

At some point I’ll tell the story of this print in particular.

I cook corn....

eHangar
Admin
Forum Posts: 2658
October 29, 2014 - 6:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great classic Taylor prints in your collection!

With reference to the last print, let me take a shot at guessing the story…

Looks like a B-17E. Could it be General Ira Eaker’s “Yankee Doodle” and his squadron climbing out from England, as the ‘forts are flying west to east, on the first B-17 raid on Europe on 17 August 1942?

buzzc320
Members
October 29, 2014 - 12:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

eHangar said
Great classic Taylor prints in your collection!

Thanks!

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 29, 2014 - 12:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

eHangar said 
With reference to the last print, let me take a shot at guessing the story…

Looks like a B-17E. Could it be General Ira Eaker’s “Yankee Doodle” and his squadron climbing out from England, as the ‘forts are flying west to east, on the first B-17 raid on Europe on 17 August 1942?

No. It doesn’t signify a particular mission.

I’ll drop a clue: Studebaker.

I cook corn....

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3313
October 29, 2014 - 9:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the clue.  I see that Studebaker license-built Wright Cyclone engines for the B-17.

http://worldwar2collection.com…..jpg?1f4b8b

buzzc320
Members
October 30, 2014 - 3:36 pm

fuzzy said
Thanks for the clue.  I see that Studebaker license-built Wright Cyclone engines for the B-17.

http://worldwar2collection.com…..jpg?1f4b8b

Yeah. Studebaker built 64,000+ R-1820 engines in ’42 & ’43.

http://airandspace.si.edu/coll…..9660459000

Fredric Tellander was a landscape/cityscape artist that did illustrative work for Studebaker from the ’20’s through the late ’50’s but it seems he’s best known for his WWII Studebaker work. (His work here)

As for the above print (post 29), I grew up pulling tits (grew up on a dairy farm) and when my folks bought the farm from my dad’s folks in ’73, about the first thing we did was remodel the old farmhouse. One of the things I stumbled upon while digging around in the attic (I was like 10-11 years old) was an old bat-crap stained 1943 cardboard tube with ‘Studebaker’ stamped on it and a somewhat stained and wrinkled airplane print in it. For whatever reason I kept it. In the early/mid ’80’s, brother-in-law had a job at the local clock company and in his breaks was able to make picture frames and such.  He made me some frames and one day on a lark I dug out that old Studebaker print and a frame and went to see about getting it framed up. The print actually wasn’t in that good of shape as it had a few wrinkles and the margins were stained and a couple of rips but the guy doing the framing said he could save it. So, he ended up dry mounting onto some foam backing and the matting was sized to eliminate any of the outer margin and what you see has been with me for almost 30 years.

It took me years to get the story of that print. My Grandpa’s youngest brother was a B17 top turrent gunner and his plane was hit by flak on the first Schweinfurt mission and he spent the rest of the war in Austria as a guest of the Luftwaffe. I know my grandparents coughed up a couple of bucks a month for war bonds and at some point in late ’42 or early ’43 sent Studebaker a dime for a “Flying Fortress print on heavy stock suitable for framing.” They never did anything with the print and it ended up rolled up in the cardboard tube in the attic for some 30-odd years. I never met my great-uncle as he was killed in a car accident in Montana in the late ’50’s.

I pretty much know the story of Studebaker and this print but there’s so many conflicting stories on-line I could never pin it down enough for my satisfaction. I found a perfect magazine ad of this print on Ebay a while ago that came out of the July ’43 Fortune magazine so with that and the COA that came with it, I’m confident I know the history of this print. There are several other Tellander B17 ads that Studebaker put out but AFAIK, they were never available as a print.

I have a wee-smaller matching frame and I’m going to get this 1943 ad framed up and I think hang it across the hallway from the other. I’d kind of like to also frame the COA with it but don’t think the frame is quite wide enough.

I cook corn....

Appliance
Members
Forum Posts: 394
November 2, 2014 - 3:46 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Super story and super storytelling Buzz.

As a Liberator fan it pains me I never had the ‘ready’ coinciding with my sole opportunity to acquire “Welcome Sight.”  

I’m so glad you did.smile2

buzzc320
Members
November 2, 2014 - 1:29 pm

Appliance said
Super story and super storytelling Buzz.

As a Liberator fan it pains me I never had the ‘ready’ coinciding with my sole opportunity to acquire “Welcome Sight.”  

I’m so glad you did.smile2

Never say never. I know of a guy that has a never-framed been correctly stored copy of Welcome Sight and it also includes the companion print. I’ll drop you a PM if you’d be interested. I’m sure he still has it as the Liberator prints aren’t exactly flying off the shelves. Because us Lib fans need to stick together. dance4

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
November 2, 2014 - 1:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

buzzc320 said   
I never met my great-uncle as he was killed in a car accident in Montana in the late ’50’s.

I did visit with him yesterday. Actually, I took my Studebaker print in to get the glass switched out to non-glare and horrors! eekThe matting wasn’t acid-free. Well, we’ll just get it done right this time around. Now I know how to tell acid from non-acid matting. happy Gotta right those 29 year old wrongs.

I took the scenic route on the way home and stopped off at the cemetery where the bones of most my paternal side have been buried for the past 135-odd years to do some fall cleaning but the leaves had already been raked up. Great Uncle Ernest was still there next to my great-grandparents and the US Army Air Forces medallion was still in the wrought-iron holder on his headstone so all is good until the next visit.

I cook corn....

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3313
November 4, 2014 - 1:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Interesting story about your great-uncle at Schweinfurt – wow!

By the way, I did see a mint copy of “Welcome Sight” on that most-well-known of auction sites for $375.  Seems like a pretty reasonable price for a long-sold-out Taylor.

buzzc320
Members
November 4, 2014 - 2:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

fuzzy said
Interesting story about your great-uncle at Schweinfurt – wow!

By the way, I did see a mint copy of “Welcome Sight” on that most-well-known of auction sites for $375.  Seems like a pretty reasonable price for a long-sold-out Taylor.

Yeah, the ‘Welcome Sight’ I was thinking of is listed at $399 but that’s also with the companion print. As for my GU, I’m kinda bummed that I don’t have anything Schweinfurt. Looks like I’ll have to change that at some point. smile2

I cook corn....

Appliance
Members
Forum Posts: 394
November 5, 2014 - 3:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

buzzc320 said

I’ll drop you a PM if you’d be interested. 

Thanks.  I’d like to receive details but can’t action anything until mid-December when a dividend is received.  

Talk about history repeating … confused3

Forum Timezone: UTC 0

Most Users Ever Online: 85

Currently Online:
15 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

See All Online Activity
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: None