A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
buzzc320's collection of things
buzzc320
Members
Forum Posts: 216
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 20, 2014 - 3:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Newbieish member here and it seems one has to post what they has for street cred. So, gonna start out with the print that got me back into the print collecting game after a nearly 25 year absence. And just for the record, I have read a few posts on here dissin’ metal frames in favor of wood. My take on it has always been the metal frame represents the metal of the aircraft. I like wood and linen frames for the WWI prints. But I have a couple of exceptions. Just me.

Fluorescent light fixture was on in the office so pretty much everything looks a bit washed out.

Eagles on the Rampage

Eagles on the Rampage. Picked this up from V. Bader at Oshkosh this past August. My birthday present to myself.

I cook corn....

Guss
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 296
October 20, 2014 - 3:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice print buzzc320, and I think the mat and frame combination is great – it really focuses attention on the print, and as you say, augments the metallic finish of the Mustang.  And at the end of the day, the only one who really needs to be pleased with how it looks, is….you.  Welcome back to the hobby!

buzzc320
Members
October 20, 2014 - 3:53 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Double Trouble by Ray Waddy.

There’s a few waves in the print. Most of these prints were conservation mounted a generation ago and I’m sure as with most things, the quality and techniques are heads and tails above what they were 25 or so years ago. That being said, I’m going to get everything back to the framer over the next couple of years and have everything gone though. I have some matting I want to change color/textures on and this would be a good chance to switch over to mylar corners and non-glare Tru-Vue glass instead of the reflective stuff.

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 20, 2014 - 4:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Guss said
Nice print buzzc320, and I think the mat and frame combination is great – it really focuses attention on the print, and as you say, augments the metallic finish of the Mustang.  And at the end of the day, the only one who really needs to be pleased with how it looks, is….you.  Welcome back to the hobby!

Thanks Gus! I’m amazed that after 22 years since I last had a print framed, the same frame is still available. And I see its still going to take me a couple of hours to pick out what I want to go with on matting. Some things never change. blush

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 20, 2014 - 4:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeager’s Quest by Mr. Stokes.

AAck! This one dates back to ’82. I know it stayed rolled up in the tube for a few years. The sticker says I brought it home from the frame shop on November 21, 1987! God only knows where I picked this print up from. Still one of my favorites and signed by Charles back in the day when he did it for nothing.

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 20, 2014 - 4:19 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Eagle Attack by RT1. The sticker says I brought this home from the framers on July 22, 1988.

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 20, 2014 - 4:29 am

Eagles High by RT1. Probably framed in 1988. Somehow I ended up with non-glare glass in this one. No clue on the UV rating though. brooding

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 20, 2014 - 5:07 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Flight of Eagles, RT1.

Brought this home from the frame shop on August 14, 1987. Virginia Bader had like an 8′ x 8′ booth in one of the flea market tents at Oshkosh before the exhibition hangars were built. Macky Steinhoff was at Oshkosh in 1986 and our paths never crossed then or ever again. I knew Herr Galland was going to be there in ’87 and I wasn’t about to be denied again. I remember practicing my Deutsch for several months so I knew I could talk to the man. I still remember buying this print for 100 bucks, walking to the table just down the aisle from Virginia’s booth and there they were, Adolph and Pappy. Boyington had a line stretching to outside of the tent and Herr Galland was twiddling his fingers. I can remember saying ‘Guten tag, Herr Galland’ and the rest of my German escaped me. I shook his hand for probably 5 minutes and we had maybe another 10 minutes before someone got in line behind me. Before I left, I asked Herr Galland if he’d scribble something on this print for me (it already had his signature on it). I told him it was my 25th birthday a couple of days previous, so he asked how to spell my name and dated the print. I have several prints with Adolph Galland’s signature but this is the one that come hell or high water I’ll never get rid of.

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 20, 2014 - 5:32 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fourth Fighter Patrol, RT1.

(With a reflection of a Foster’s lager mirror in the glass). Remarque is dated October ’87 so probably framed early to mid ’88.

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 20, 2014 - 5:40 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gathering of Eagles, RT1. Remarque dated May ’87 and picked up from the frame shop in September 1987.

(This pic is really washed out).

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 20, 2014 - 3:04 pm

Helping Hand, RT1. Framed September 20, 1989.

I need a bit of help with this one. The COA says only signed by Robert Taylor –

But I have this signature. Looks to be (John) C. Morgan? I definitely received it this way.

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 20, 2014 - 3:10 pm

Hurricane Force, RT1. Framed September 1991.

I cook corn....

Appliance
Members
Forum Posts: 394
October 20, 2014 - 9:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great collection Brian.  Thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to the next tranche.

PS. Good name by the wayhappy

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3311
October 21, 2014 - 12:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Buzz,

Nice collection of early prints and remarques.  I’m a big fan of Stokes’ “Yeager’s Quest”.

What a great opportunity to meet Adolph Galland!

Thanks for sharing your collection.

buzzc320
Members
October 21, 2014 - 12:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Appliance said
Great collection Brian.  Thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to the next tranche.

PS. Good name by the wayhappy

Haha! Thanks. It was a bit more popular 50+ years ago. There were 73 students in my class in school and there were 4 of us. crazy1

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 21, 2014 - 12:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

fuzzy said
Buzz,

Nice collection of early prints and remarques.  I’m a big fan of Stokes’ “Yeager’s Quest”.

What a great opportunity to meet Adolph Galland!

Thanks for sharing your collection.

Thanks! Here’s its 25 odd-years later that I’m slowly getting back into this and it funny because its the earlier prints that still mostly do it for me.

The thing that always impressed me then about Herr Galland and the couple of other times our paths crossed is that it could be an outdoor function, humid and hotter than hell and there he’d be, in at least a dress shirt & tie. The man was a class-act. salute

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 21, 2014 - 12:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

JV-44, RT1

I cook corn....

buzzc320
Members
October 21, 2014 - 12:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mission Completed, RT1

I cook corn....

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3311
October 22, 2014 - 12:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Helping Hand had no aircrew signatures when it was issued.  One of the few RT prints without aircrew signatures. 

Seems like a few have had signatures added over the years.  I bought one from Virginia Bader a few years back that had John C. Morgan and Hub Zemke on it.  It was from her stock – she got the signatures on the prints back in the 90’s.

eHangar
Admin
Forum Posts: 2652
October 22, 2014 - 5:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you for sharing your collection here, Brian. Nice early RT1s.

Interesting remarque position on Gathering of Eagles at the top border.

Flight of Eagles remains one of my fav RT paintings of Bf109s although it depicts the F model. My favourite mark is the Emil model, which is depicted in Eagles Hight. Hmmm… so many prints with the word Eagles in the title…confused2

fuzzy, I was not aware that Helping Hand was issued without any crew signatures – interesting. We should have a trivia competition one day… wink

Forum Timezone: UTC 0

Most Users Ever Online: 85

Currently Online:
15 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

See All Online Activity
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: None

Top Posters: