A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed
Topic Rating: +2 Topic Rating: +2 (2 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
RESULTS ARE IN !!! - Top 10 Aviation Art Originals of 2015
Brian Bateman
southern California
Members
Forum Posts: 1234
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 1, 2016 - 5:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Agreed! These people are top notch, both Roy and irene. And to look at these paintings in person and see just how beautiful these are! They detail, the color, the compositions! Wonderful day spent looking at and talking with everyone at the Roy casa, and a wonderful time picking that great artistic brain of Roys!

B

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3306
February 1, 2016 - 2:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Technically these are late, but I couldn't log in to eHangar from home this weekend.  Contacted Sunny about it, but still having that problem.

Great to see the two Grinnell paintings in the contest!  Had the chance to see them in person and they are outstanding.  The Hurricane painting will take your breath away!

Anyway, long time member Viking asked me to post his entries into the contest, so here they are.  Glad to have these in the contest as well.  Another fine selection of paintings.

John Young "B-24"

Oil on canvas 24" x 36"NB-JY-B-24-a.jpgNB-JY-B-24-b.JPG

Mark Postlethwaite "Polish Aces"

Acrylic on board 11" x 15"

NB-MP-Polish-Aces-Osprey-Cover.jpg

Mark Postlethwaite "JG III Fokker D.VII"

Acrylic on board 16" x 20"

NB-MP-JG-3-Osprey-Cover-Oblt.-Bruno-Loerzer-shooting-down-a-70-Sqn-Sopwith-Camel-in-a-big-dogfight-on-the.jpg

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
February 1, 2016 - 2:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'll post the voting rules tomorrow just to make sure there aren't any last minute entries.  Please vote!  The contests usually end up with a few thousand views, but only a handful of votes.  If you enjoyed viewing the paintings, take a few minutes to let everyone know what your favorites are.  There's no such thing as a wrong answer when it comes to what you like.

My last entry.  You may notice that the painting is dated 2005.  It was in Steve's collection for all these years, and he just decided to offer it for sale in 2015.  It recently arrived, and I haven't had a chance to frame it yet.

Steve Anderson "Udet!"

Oil on canvas 18" x 36"SA-Udet-1-1.JPGSA-Udet-2.JPGSA-Udet-3.JPGSA-Udet-4.JPG

buzzc320
Members
Forum Posts: 215
February 1, 2016 - 7:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

fuzzy said
Technically these are late, but I couldn't log in to eHangar from home this weekend.  Contacted Sunny about it, but still having that problem.

Let me guess, this message?

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forum on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.25 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.25 OpenSSL/1.0.0-fips mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 Server at ehangar.com Port 80

I cook corn....

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
February 1, 2016 - 7:50 pm

Still can't log in from home, that's why I can only get on here once every couple days.  Makes running the contest challenging!  Sorry, doing my best.

One more entry for Viking:

Roy Grinnell "First Sting Color Study"

Oil on board 8" x 12"FullSizeRender.jpg

buzzc320
Members
February 2, 2016 - 4:34 pm

No. And not for a lack of trying. naughty

The folks that are hosting this forum need to have a look at their settings.

There's nothing that says 'Welcome' better than a 'Forbidden' message most of the time I stop by here. Other than this issue, things are great on here now.

I cook corn....

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
February 3, 2016 - 2:54 pm

TIME TO VOTE!

Voting ends the last day of February.

The rules will basically remain the same as in previous contests with one exception:

You can vote for 5 - FIVE - paintings.  

There are so many great works this year, I think it would be nice to vote for five.  I know I could put in a vote for far more than that.  Give me your list ranked from your favorite, which will be number one, to your fifth place vote.

I'm going to score it as follows:

#1 gets 10 points

#2 gets 8 points

#3 gets 6 points

#4 gets 4 points

#5 gets 2 points

I'll add them up for all the voters and the work with the highest point total wins.

PLEASE VOTE!

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
February 4, 2016 - 5:46 pm

I'll start off the voting.

First, let me thank all the people who entered paintings - either your own works, works you acquired, or the works of other artists.

In terms of the number and quality of the art, I think this is the best contest we have ever had.  I went through the entries to make my "short" list of favorites.  My "short" list consisted of 15 paintings!  There are 10 paintings I'd like to vote for, but can't.  That is a sure sign of a great contest.  There have been strong lineups in past contests, but in my opinion, this one is the strongest.

Here are my entries.  I do have a built-in bias for my own paintings, as they are subjects that appeal to me and I can see the paintings in person.  There is no substitute for seeing a painting in person as the color and detail come through in a way that can't be recreated in a .jpg.  However, I made a conscious effort to be an unbiased observer when judging the paintings.  Also, I made a conscious effort to recognize as many different artists as possible.  A few artists have a small collection of deserving paintings this year, but I wanted to choose what I thought was their best work, and then recognize other artists.  This is just how I approached the voting - merely an explanation of my thought process - an no one should feel any obligation to follow it!

#1 - 10 points - Steve Anderson "Udet!"

This has become the favorite painting in my collection.  The term "dogfight" originated in World War One to describe the dizzying life-and-death whirlwind of aircraft in close combat.  In my mind, no other artwork has captured a "dogfight" so magnificently.

#2 - 8 points - Gareth Hector "Dropping by the Horse and Jockey"

The Battle of Britain is a favorite subject of mine.  This is the best image done in the 75th anniversary of the battle.  Furthermore, I believe it competes with the best Battle of Britain images ever done.  That is a powerful statement, as the Battle of Britain has inspired some of the greatest aviation art ever done.

#3 - 6 points - Roy Grinnell "The Struggle Begins"

I was fortunate to see this painting in person, and it is spectacular.  I know Simon did his best, but his photo doesn't do it justice (I'm sure Simon would be the first to agree).  Fortunately, you can see .jpgs on the web, so be sure and take a look at those as well.

#4 - 4 points - Darryl Legg "Fairey Delta Two"

The background alone put this painting on my list.  Darryl's high-altitude view of the earth is inspired.  The aircraft, and particularly the metal finish, are spot-on as well.  I'm not a big jet fan, but that doesn't keep me from recognizing a great painting when I see one.

#5 - 2 points - Russell Smith "Stan's Colorful Steed"

A classic Russell Smith ground scene.  I love the SE-5a, and Stan Dallas' mount is a great choice with the interesting camouflage scheme. 

There are at least 10 more paintings that I think are outstanding, but this list will have to do.

I have not found print releases from major publishers very inspiring in recent times.  If you ask me, though, paintings from independent artists are climbing to record heights. 

Blacksheep
Moderators

Members
Forum Posts: 1827
February 6, 2016 - 5:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

#1 Gareth Hector "Dropping in at the Horse & Jockey"

As a collector, many commissioned pieces have the double bonus of not only being a great work of art, but having been a wonderful journey, as the artist was such a pleasure to work with. This was one of those pieces. There were many personel and historical asides to this painting, but probably better shared on Gareth's WIP thread at a later date.

#2 Roy Grinnell "Alone Above Baoshan"

Many of the best AVG paintings are done by Roy, and I've always been keen on acquiring one. Several of us here meet Roy & Irene in Dallas last year, and when I saw this one my heart jumped. Boy was I glad when Irene and I were able to strike a deal on it! Many can attest that photos of paintings never seem to capture the richness of them as seen in person, and Roy's artwork is great example of that. They live and breath and capture the spirit of the events he has portrayed.

#3 Roy Grinnell "The Struggle Begins"

Simon bought this piece during our Dallas weekend. It is stunning and I know he must be very proud of it.

#4 Harley Copic "Preddy's P-51B"

What can beat Harley and the P-51? Wonderful depiction!

#5 Russell Smith "Strike Them From Above"

Love the swirling dogfight WWI artwork. So full of action.

Kudos to Kurt for keeping this contest going. Wish I could have participated the last couple of years, but was unable to access the site. Great idea to expand the voting to 5 pieces, but it would still have been difficult if it had been expanded to 10 or 15 with this years entrants. BTW, if I had been given 5 more votes, Darryl Legg would have gotten 4 of them, with "Typhoon McGoon", "Jeanie", "Bum Steer" and "Gotterdammerung"!

Awesome array of artwork in this year's contest. Proud of the artists that created them and collectors who snatched them up.

Daz
Members
Forum Posts: 1033
February 11, 2016 - 7:54 pm

I tried to vote a few days ago to find the site down (Domain expired?) so pleased to see it back up especially after a resurge in interest and a much improved forum, thanks Sunny.

Also thanks to Kurt for keeping this completion going and n the process creating that resurgence...lets hope the momentum keeps going.

As Fuzzy and Blacksheep have both said great works this year and very difficult to choose just 5, especially when some are mine how do I choose a favourite? I've taken some time and been subjective (but of course seeing them on your wall instead of a computer does influence a decision, especially as I was intimately involved in the commission process of five of them)

So here goes:-

1st Mark Postlethwaite's "Black Horse over Bamburgh"

One of his best ever IMHO, anyone who has ever been up the fantastic coastline north of Newcastle will instantly recognise the scene of this painting

2nd Darryl Legg's "FD2"

As mentioned above a bit personal this one, but truly amazed how Darryl used my photo of the Isle of White taken when I was a First Officer on the B737 and then worked out out where the aircraft flown by Peter Twiss would be in relation to the background on that day he set the world speed record.....and then to paint such a great painting...incredible 

3rd Mark Postlethwaite's "Winter Tempest"

Again such a pleasure working with Mark from spark of an idea to the final result

4th Ivan Berryman's "Fast and Furious"

Not enough Fury paintings in this world

5th Russell Smith's "Stan's Colourful Steed"

Great work and its only a study!!!

There could be so many more, special mentions for John Young's "B-24", Robin Smith "Cold Hands Everywhere", Phil West's "Over the Beaches" and because we will never see it in the air again very apt Chas McHugh's "Spirit of Gt Britain"

Daz
Members
Forum Posts: 1033
February 20, 2016 - 3:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hoping for a late surge of voting here. What a shame after the effort Fuzzy put in to keeping this annual event going and all the comments it's promoted would be a shame if only 3 of us bothered to votefrown

napier
Napier New Zealand
Members
Forum Posts: 367
February 20, 2016 - 8:01 pm

Sorry Daz I have been looking at the painting over the last couple of weeks and it is so hard to pick this year because the standard is through the roof but here are the ones I keep going back to. You could almost have a top ten with this lot. 

1. Typhoon McGoon - Darryl Legg

2. The Brave - Don Wilkie

3. Strike from above - Russell Smith

4. No Moon Tonight - Simon Atack

5. Black Horse Over Bamburgh - Mark Postlewaite

buzzc320
Members
February 21, 2016 - 6:25 pm

I keep changing my mind but would pick these today - 

1) Mark Postlewaite - JGIII Fokker D.VII

2) Gareth Hector - Dropping in at the Horse & Jockey

3) Russell Smith - Strike Them From Above

4) Steve Anderson - Udet

5) Darryl Legg - Gotterdammerung

To round out a Top 10 in no particular order -

Steve Anderson -Mannock's Nieuport 27

Russell Smith - Home Field Advantage

Darryl Legg - Typhoon McGoon

Napier - Safely Home

Charles McHugh - Spirit of Great Britain

I cook corn....

SpitfireVIII
Members
Forum Posts: 56
February 22, 2016 - 10:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My choices:

(1) Darryl Legg - "Typhoon McGoon"

(2) Russell Smith - "Strike Them From Above"

(3) Roy Grinnell - "The Struggle Begins"

(4) Darryl Legg - "Exercise Glowing Speed"

(5) Darryl Legg - "Yak-9U"

Taylorprints
Members
Forum Posts: 258
February 26, 2016 - 2:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My votes

1) Russell Smith - "Strike from Above"

2) Roy Grinnell - "First Strike"

3) Darryl Legg - "Bum Steer"

4) Kevin Weber - "Thunderbird"

5) Simon Atack - "No Moon Tonight"

Guss
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 293
February 29, 2016 - 4:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

OUTSTANDING artwork this year Fuzzy - this competition just gets better and better.  Here are my selections:

1 - Roy Grinnell - The Struggle Begins

2 - Darryl Legg - Jeannie

3 - Russell Smith - Strike from Above

4 - Gareth Hector - Dropping In at the Horse and Jockey

5 - Mark Postlethwaite - JGIII Fokker D.VII

viking
Members
Forum Posts: 129
February 29, 2016 - 5:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Kurt for putting this together, always enjoy seeing what paintings members are collecting.

1. The Struggle Begins

2. Dropping in at Horse and Jockey

3. Strike Them From Above

4. Cold Hands Everywhere

5. Jeannie

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
February 29, 2016 - 3:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Black Widow logged his votes in a separate post, so I'm going to copy them here to keep everything in the same place.

Black Widow's votes:

So, because it's almost too late, i'll vote.

1 Steve Anderson - Udet

2 Roy Grinell - Alone above Baorham

3 Gareth Hector - Droppping in at the Horse and Jockey

4 Darryl Lee - Jeanny

5 Mark Postletwaite - Winter Tempest

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
February 29, 2016 - 8:52 pm

About 3 hours left to vote!  This thread has had almost 2100 views, and we'd love to get a few more opinions of those who are checking in but haven't voted.

Swissmustang
Zurich
Members
Forum Posts: 188
February 29, 2016 - 10:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My votes:

1) Roy Grinnell - "The Struggle Begins"

2) Mark Postlethwaite - "Black Horse over Bamburg"

3) Darryl Legg - "Gotterdammerung"

4) Darryl Legg - "Exercise Glowing Speed"