A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed
Topic Rating: +2 Topic Rating: +2 (2 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
RESULTS ARE IN !!! - Top 10 Aviation Art Originals of 2015
Guss
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 293
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 4, 2016 - 11:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Forgetting that it's a contest, this thread is bringing us some outstanding artwork - it's great to see so many paintings being posted.  Thanks for getting the ball rolling Fuzzy!

Charles McHugh
Moderators

Members
Forum Posts: 830
January 5, 2016 - 6:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

'Spirit of Great Britain' - oil on canvas - 97x60cm - Avro Vulcan over Clachan Bridge and the Isle of Seil.

Charles McHugh
Moderators

Members
Forum Posts: 830
January 5, 2016 - 7:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

'Maximum effort ~ Stirling Service' - Oil on canvas - 36"x24" - Short Stirling bomber WWII.

NeilF92
Members
Forum Posts: 986
January 5, 2016 - 7:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Excellent  pieces  Chas .  The  Vulcan hits  the  spot for  me.

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3306
January 6, 2016 - 1:50 pm

Thanks Chas - a fine Vulcan and another fine Stirling - I think we've set a Stirling record this contest!

Here's another one of mine.  This one is based on an incident in the book "Protect and Avenge" which covers the 49th Fighter Group in WW2.

Darryl Legg "Typhoon McGoon"

Acrylic on canvas 25" x 17"

rsz_dl_us_p-40_2.jpgrsz_dl_us_p-40_2_-_copy.jpg

DL-US-P-40-3.JPG

Daz
Members
Forum Posts: 1033
January 6, 2016 - 2:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Talking of breaking records....I can see, Fuzzy, Pete Hill and me and 12 guests are online here at the same time!!!!!

buzzc320
Members
Forum Posts: 215
January 6, 2016 - 4:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Holy Crap. Just a couple weeks ago I could stop by on here for a visit and I'd be the only one. There just wasn't any guests/online activity to be found.

I even thought of creating a second account just so I'd have some company on here. cool1

I cook corn....

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
January 6, 2016 - 5:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

In past years, the original & print contests have resulted in more traffic on the site. 

Especially the original contest.  Most collectors are familiar with the prints released during the year.  On the other hand, I've always enjoyed seeing what collectors have added & artists have painted over the course of the previous year.  Most people have not seen those images before.  That motivates people to check in at the end of the year.

I believe there's still strong interest out there.  Unfortunately, the performance of this site has been poor for years now.  The difficulty in using the site has driven many people away.  The issue of new posts not going to the homepage (and not going to the new posts section of the forum page) only reinforces the impression that the site is dwindling.

Sunny is looking into fixing some of the problems that have gone unattended for years.  If that happens, I think you'll see the site pick up.  Maybe some of the old-timers will come back.  There are plenty of established threads people enjoy: remarques, Simon's collection, Gus' collection, etc.  Of course, there's no limit to potential new threads.

Feel free to drop Sunny a line and let him know you'd like to see the site back on its feet again.  The best way to get in touch with him is to look up "Sunny Chow" on Facebook.

Guss
Members

Moderators
January 6, 2016 - 8:46 pm

I think fuzzy is right on target.  There was a time when eHangar was THE on-line gathering place for the aviation art community - enthusiasts, artists and collectors alike.  The content here is incredible, and now goes back a decade or more.  What's more, it was not just a place "to look" - it was a place "to engage".  I know my knowledge of the aviation art genre has increased greatly thanks to eHangar, and I've gotten to see (and purchase) artwork I might never have seen otherwise, and actually meet some of the outstanding artists who create it.  As fuzzy suggests - and as this thread proves - there is still great potential for this website.  I'd echo his suggestion that you contact Sunny via Facebook and let him know you support the rehabilitation and continuation of eHangar.

napier
Napier New Zealand
Members
Forum Posts: 365
January 6, 2016 - 9:12 pm

I wrote to Sunny about the site just before christmas asking if he could look at the site as it was being discussed on another art site and everyone would like to see it back and working. His first reply back to me was

"And I thought with Facebook and other social platforms, most of the aviation artists did not really need eHangar anymore..."

when I went back to him he didn't get back to me. I have always loved this site and have always kept putting my paintings up on it even though I get very few if any comments back from them. It would  be great to have it as it was.

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
January 7, 2016 - 12:32 am

As far as my experience goes, eHangar is almost there.  The homepage/forum page post issue is the only problem I see (but it is a significant one).  The speed has been good for me lately.  I don't have to wait very long for the site to perform an action (but maybe that is a function of the diminished traffic?).  Uploading images is easy and fast - Photobucket is no longer required - just drag, drop & upload directly to eHangar.  If Sunny can just get the posts to go where they should, the site is back in business.

Facebook is great if you're an artist and you want to push your works out to your friends list.  Most artists have a presence there, and it makes sense.  It's not all unicorns & rainbows, though.  Most people are buried under a crush of posts.  An artists' post will be superceded quickly on my page.  There's a good chance I'll never see it since my Facebook time is minimal.  Also, there's little constructive discussion.  If you want 100 comments like, "Nice P-51", or "Great", it's the perfect venue.  If you want anything beyond that, it has little to offer.

napier
Napier New Zealand
Members
January 7, 2016 - 2:28 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Totally agree with you Fuzzy in all you say. What I liked about Ehanger was the feed back and help I got when I started painting in January 2012. I am on another sight that has mainly artist only on it and it can have its moments. Prickly lot we artists!

I have found this sight easier lately but I have it set up for forum only.

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
January 7, 2016 - 9:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Back to the paintings.

Darryl Legg "Yak-9U"

Acrylic on canvas 12" x 16"

rsz_dl_r_yak-9u.jpgrsz_dl_r_yak-9u_-_copy.jpg

napier
Napier New Zealand
Members
January 8, 2016 - 7:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fuzzy this year I have had a really good look at Darryl's work and went back to last years painting of his. I think he is becoming the new RT I love his paintings, thanks for showing them to us. Don

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
January 8, 2016 - 3:51 pm

Don,

Darryl is an extraordinarily talented artist and I look forward to seeing each new work.  I think you are right, he has an incredibly bright future as an aviation artist.  There are a number of younger aviation artists who are striving to gain the kind of recognition that RT has achieved.  RT is certainly one of a kind, though.  On the other hand, I'm sure we'll see a few of these artists make a similar mark on the field.  Darryl sure is off to a flying start!

Guss
Members

Moderators
January 8, 2016 - 5:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

About a year-and-a-half ago I started a "Paintings by Darryl Legg" thread in the Gallery Forum as a mechanism to gather his artwork in one place.  As the performance of eHangar continues to improve it would be great if his paintings that are scattered around eHangar could be posted there.  I think anyone who sees the full breath of his work can't help but be impressed - he's outstanding!

eHangar
Admin
Forum Posts: 2638
January 10, 2016 - 9:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

fuzzy said
As far as my experience goes, eHangar is almost there.  The homepage/forum page post issue is the only problem I see (but it is a significant one).  The speed has been good for me lately.  I don't have to wait very long for the site to perform an action (but maybe that is a function of the diminished traffic?).  Uploading images is easy and fast - Photobucket is no longer required - just drag, drop & upload directly to eHangar.  If Sunny can just get the posts to go where they should, the site is back in business.

Facebook is great if you're an artist and you want to push your works out to your friends list.  Most artists have a presence there, and it makes sense.  It's not all unicorns & rainbows, though.  Most people are buried under a crush of posts.  An artists' post will be superceded quickly on my page.  There's a good chance I'll never see it since my Facebook time is minimal.  Also, there's little constructive discussion.  If you want 100 comments like, "Nice P-51", or "Great", it's the perfect venue.  If you want anything beyond that, it has little to offer.

Fuzzy and all ....

I am very happy to report that I have finally managed to get the update bug fixed!

It took quite a bit of time and help from the forum software developers but we finally managed to identify the cause and now I can see the homepage is showing all the recently updated forum thread!

bananabananabanana

Guss
Members

Moderators
January 10, 2016 - 2:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

This is great Sunny, thanks much!  I'm catching up on all kinds of content that I had no idea had been added to eHangar.  This is a big step forward sir.

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
January 10, 2016 - 5:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

A big THANK YOU Sunny!

We can nickname the site "ePhoenix" - a winged creature that obtains new life by arising from the ashes of its predecessor!

I'm glad to see it back, and I know several friends who are glad to see it back too.  I suspect there are plenty of other happy av art fans out there as well.

Kurt

Daz
Members
Forum Posts: 1033
January 11, 2016 - 7:23 pm

I can only echo the above comments and welcome the bug fixes, hopefully Sunny this could be a return to the good old days. There is a place for Facebook, twitter etc, but none can replace a good forum....so fingers crossed. (I'm not going to push my luck just yet though and add a smiley.....a year ago whenever I did that the whole post I'd spent lots of minutes on!!!! just disappeared ....small steps!)wink

So my last addition to this years nominations, and like I said previously it could be stretching the rules as I think it was painted about 10 years ago....but it has only just come in to the collection of an ehanger member. No probs if it and my two Robin Smith paintings get excluded, think it is still worth while showing them here.

So re-framed only yesterday here is "Over The Beaches" by Phil West.....which I'm sure you knew anywaythumbsup

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/tempest_mk5/DSC_0241_zpskjhtpim8.jpg

Wow the smileys even workkudos

Forum Timezone: UTC 0

Most Users Ever Online: 85

Currently Online:
21 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

See All Online Activity
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None