A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed
Topic Rating: +1 Topic Rating: +1 (1 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
RESULTS ARE IN !!! - Top 10 Aviation Originals of 2017 !!!
napier
Napier New Zealand
Members
Forum Posts: 377
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 8, 2018 - 3:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

the battle for Ludendorff bridge, Remagen 1945. Oil on canvas 760x510mm. Artist Don Wilkie

26170075_1840843162625015_5047624136256915265_o-2.jpg

napier
Napier New Zealand
Members
January 8, 2018 - 3:45 am

“Berlin Run” this painting involves the 381st bomber group showing aircraft from the 532 & 533 Bomber Squadrons March/April 1944. Being attacked by one of Sturmstaffel 1 Salzwedel. 910x760mm (36x24inches) Artist Don Wilkie

26232051_1840845175958147_2155518953770956489_o.jpg

napier
Napier New Zealand
Members
January 8, 2018 - 3:47 am

RNZAF Skyhawk Early morning take off from Ohakea. Oil on Canvas 1010x760mm Artist Don Wilkie

DSC_0005.JPG

napier
Napier New Zealand
Members
January 8, 2018 - 3:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

“The Morning Ground Crew” 75(NZ) squadron at Mepal in Ely, Cambridgeshire being bomb up for a mission. Oil on Canvas 1010×760. Artist Don Wilkie

DSC_0004w.JPG

napier
Napier New Zealand
Members
January 8, 2018 - 3:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

the arrival of three Short Sunderland III to NZ for the purpose of freight supplying to the Pacific during WW2. The painting is 1800x250mm artist Don Wilkie

26172581_1840841499291848_4176124528765240981_o.jpg

hellcat6
Members
Forum Posts: 53
January 19, 2018 - 1:17 am

I was fortunate to snag a number of originals this year, here is the first.

“Captain Eddie”, oil on board by Russell Smith.  This is the original painting, it is now available as an open edition print on Russ’s site.  He was great to work with on this.  I asked him to add the DVII which came out great!

[Image Can Not Be Found]

hellcat6
Members
January 19, 2018 - 1:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Next up is a large original pencil drawing from Robert Bailey.  This is the original that was published as a print with the title of “Avenging Strike”.  It also features a number of great Raider signatures.  Dick Best also signed this one.  My understanding is that while he was of course not one of the Raiders, he was in fact with the fleet during the launch.

hellcat6
Members
January 19, 2018 - 1:26 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Another large original Robert Bailey piece.  This one is a group of Dauntless dive bombers and is signed by Dick Best.  The picture does not capture well the fact that Robert also used shades of blue on this interesting drawing.  Unfortunately this one was damaged in shipment but still looks great.

hellcat6
Members
January 19, 2018 - 1:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Received my first originals from Daryl Legg this year.  Really a talented artist that is also a pleasure to work with.  This is one of the originals from his Luftwaffe collection and is a great view of an ME110.  Very colorful oil on canvas.

hellcat6
Members
January 19, 2018 - 1:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Next up are some original Robert Taylor pieces that I also picked up this year.

Here is the original pencil drawing for “Eyes of the Pacific Fleet”.  This one was published in very limited quantities as the companion print for the publishers proof version of Midway – Strike Against the Akagi.  A great collection of signatures are on this drawing. 

hellcat6
Members
January 19, 2018 - 1:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Another Robert Taylor original pencil sketch, this one is “Tail End Charlie”.  This image was published in very limited quantities as the companion print for the publishers proof version of “Mighty Eighth – Outward Bound”.  The signatures are pretty much all the names you would expect on such a nice P-38 drawing in honor of the Eighth.  Photo is not the best but it is framed now and I lack the skills to figure out how to defeat glare from glass!

hellcat6
Members
January 19, 2018 - 2:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My last submission for the year is probably the one I am most excited about.  This is “Final Approach” and is believed to be a gouache original by Robert Taylor.  Had to look that one up – a method of painting using opaque pigments ground in water and thickened with a gluelike substance.  The only evidence of this work is that it was used on the last page of Robert’s third book, the acknowledgements page for the book.  No further information is provided and it does not appear to have ever been published as a print.  We believe that this was probably a commissioned piece done by Robert in September of 1994.  I am attempting to verify this information with Robert through his publisher.  The other best sources that I know, Fuzzy and Taylorprints, both agree with this assessment so I felt it was OK to post the image here.

Swissmustang
Zurich
Members
Forum Posts: 190
January 19, 2018 - 6:12 pm

“Al Deere’s Spitfire”, by Frank Schwarz

The Spitfire of Al Deere, Battle of Britain. Acryl on board, size 40 x 30 cm (without frame).

20180115_192808-1_korr_small.jpg

Frank

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3337
January 20, 2018 - 2:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Painted by an eHangar member – Steve Anderson – and owned by an eHangar member – viking:

Steve Anderson

The Baron’s Last Sunset

Oil on canvas

18″ x 36″

Completed 2017

SA-Barons-Last-Sunset.jpg

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
January 22, 2018 - 12:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m going to extend the nomination deadline for a day.  Guss has some paintings to add, but needs a little more time.  He’s been traveling for a while, recently returned, and hasn’t had a chance to put them up yet.  I think we’ll all enjoy seeing them.

By the way – thanks to all for the entries!  Lots of good art this year!

Guss
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 305
January 23, 2018 - 3:41 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks much for extending the deadline Kurt.  We’ve just returned from an extended visit to Krasnoyarsk, Russia, where we participated in an international conference commemorating the 75th anniversary of the Lend-Lease program, and more specifically the Alaska-Siberia (or ALSIB) Air Route.  During WW II approximately 8000 American warplanes were transported to Russia using this route.  The planes were flown (often times by WASPs) from the factories where they were manufactured to Great Falls, Montana.  From there, pilots from the 7th Ferrying Group of the US Army Air Corps would fly the aircraft across Canada to Fairbanks, Alaska, and from there Russian pilots would fly the planes across Siberia to Kransnoyark.  The planes would than be transported to the western front to engage with the Germans.

In conjunction with the conference, five artists from around the world were asked to create artwork depicting the aircraft that flew the ALSIB air route, and I’ll share some of them here.  All of the artwork (and there were a total of 25 paintings and drawings created for the conference) will be added to my Collection of Originals thread in the near future.

Eugene Alekseyenko – Russia

P-39P39-2.jpg

P-63P63-2.jpg

Piotr Dubowik – Poland

A-20A20-FINAL-2.jpg

P-40

P40-FINAL.jpg

Peter Hill – Australia

C-47

C47-FINAL.JPG

A-20

A20-FINAL-1.jpg

Darryl Legg – South Africa

P-40

P40HiDefFinal.JPG

B-25

B25HiDefFinal.JPG

Marc poole – USA

P-39

p39-FINAL.jpg

P-40

P40-FINAL-1.jpg

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
January 23, 2018 - 9:16 pm

eHangar members – TIME TO VOTE !!!

What a great collection of original paintings nominated in the contest this year!  Thanks to all who took the time to showcase these works!

This is the ninth year for this contest.

VOTING PROCESS –

Decide which 5 originals you like the most, and number them from 1 to 5.

The original numbered 1 (your favorite) will receive 10 points.

The original numbered 2 will receive 8 points.

The original numbered 3 will receive 6 points.

The original numbered 4 will receive 4 points.

The original numbered 5 will receive 2 points.

Voting will end on February 4 as time stamped by the website.  

The original that has accumulated the most points will be the top, or number 1 original of 2017. The original with the next highest collection of points will be placed in the number 2 position. It may happen that several originals may tie with the same point total. If that happens, they will share in their placement. For example, with the number 1 and 2 positions spoken for, say three originals tie for third place. Originals 3-5 are tied, will share third place, and will be listed in positions 3, 4 and 5 in alphabetical order by the artist’s last name. There may be more than 10 originals placing if a tie situation takes up additional spots.

I added some extra nominating time so that Guss could get his entries in.  I’d like to add some extra voting time, but Sunny would like to revamp the site ASAP, and I don’t want to hold him up.

The winners will be posted on February 1.

I need a little time to sort through all these works to make my choices.  It’s going to be another tough year.  So many works worthy of a vote, but only 5 votes to give…

Blacksheep
Moderators

Members
Forum Posts: 1834
January 24, 2018 - 4:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Like I’ve said in past contests, I’ve voted for several of these with my wallet, so here goes –

10 pts to John Young’s P-38 Lightning “My Dad” – John Young has captured the aggressive ground stance of the P-38 nicely, and tells a story with ground personnel working the ship over.

8 pts to Piotr Dobowik’s untitled AVG piece – Not usually a fan of the main subject being clipped, but he has pulled it off. And I still haven’t gotten my head around the colors. It is a very striking piece.

6 pts to Jack Fellows’ Lightning Over the Bay of Naples – I’ve always had a sweet tooth for Jack’s style. Even with the atmospheric recession in this one, his colors pull you in, and your in the middle of a dogfight!

4 pts to Steve Anderson’s The Few – Still have this one leaning against a chair where I do my research. Like keeping an eye on it in case the situation changes. An air combat scene at it’s best!

2 pts to Mark Postlethwaite’s Head-On Attack – It hurt me, badly, to have to relegate this powerful piece to 2 points. Great sense of scale and tension of a Fw 190 against the four-motors.

And an honorable mention to Frank Schwarz’s Al Deere’s Spitfire. Beautiful portrait.

fuzzy
Members

Moderators
January 27, 2018 - 5:26 pm

OK – here goes!

10 points – John Young “P-38 Lightning ‘My Dad'” – Great atmosphere in this painting.  You can feel the chill of winter.  John Young is what I would call an “efficient” painter.  From a normal viewing distance, you’d swear the painting was detailed with every last rivet.  However, when you get up close, it’s not.  Basically, every every brush stroke that is needed is there, and anything superfluous is not.

8 points – Darryl Legg “Russian P-40” – As has been the case in recent years, Darryl has many strong entries in the contest.  I love the Me-110 painting with the bold color, the “Folgore Furball” painting is a great composition with aircraft that exude realism and pleasing scenery, but I picked the P-40 because it really captures the mood of battle on the eastern front.

6 points – Steve Anderson “The Baron’s Last Sunset” – I think Steve is one of the best aviation artists going.  Three outstanding paintings from Steve in this year’s contest.  However, a Red Baron painting from Steve is an event, and captures my vote.

4 points – Jack Fellows “Lightning Over The Bay Of Naples” – Another of the “Old Masters” of aviation art.  I have always loved his bold use of color, sense of action, and impressionistic backgrounds.  

2 points – Robert Taylor “Eyes Of The Pacific Fleet” – It’s not every year we get entries from Robert Taylor.  Quite an event!  Certainly worthy of a vote.  While I must admit I am more a painting fan than a drawing fan, this Catalina scene is an exceptional drawing.  

It was another great contest.  While the print market has slowed noticeably, I think original art is only getting stronger.

The only problem with so many fine entries is that deserving art gets left off my list.  I’d like to mention a few that I really enjoyed this year.  Piotr Dubowik, an artist I only became aware of recently, had 3 strong entries.  Bold, interesting, colorful paintings.  Looking forward to future paintings from Piotr.  Lucio Perinotto also has a bold style, with in-your-face action scenes like the Nieuport, but also serene paintings of classic airliners and flying boats.  Great stuff.  I really like the look of Rick Herter’s “Mustang Engaged”.  Mark Postlethwaite is the master of eye-catching scenes that surely sell a lot of Osprey books such as “Head On Attack”.  Roy Grinnell’s studies are mini-masterpieces.  Chas McHugh’s “Royal Ascent” is a nice balance of a well-rendered helicopter with pleasing scenery.  Nice choice on the Buccaneer as a subject, as it has to be one of the most interesting looking jets ever created, and I mean that as a strong compliment to the Buccaneer!  Napier’s Spit XI over the landing beaches looks great.  

Thanks to all the artists who created these works and everyone who entered them in the contest!  We’ve had about 600 views of the contest – all you viewers out there – CAST A VOTE !!!

Swissmustang
Zurich
Members
Forum Posts: 190
January 28, 2018 - 1:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My votes :

10 points – Darryl Legg “Russian P-40” – nice atmosphere, light and reflections

8 points – John Young “P-38 Lightning ‘My Dad’” – well done composition and colours who give the cold winter feeling

6 points – Mark Postlethwaite’s Head-On Attack – nice composition and lighting

4 points – Piotr Dobowik’s untitled AVG – unique style, special colors

2 points – Chas McHugh’s “Royal Ascent”

Many other beautiful paintings. Made it not easy to vote.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0

Most Users Ever Online: 85

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

See All Online Activity
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: None

Top Posters: